Chute Middle School History
Chute Middle School, originally named Oscar M. Chute Junior High, opened in 1966. The building was designed by the architecture firm Perkins & Will, who also contributed to the design of Evanston Township High School, Oakton Elementary, Lincolnwood School, and other Evanston institutions. Chute was the first school in Evanston designed to be a junior high (later middle) school.
Dr. Oscar M. Chute
The school is named for Dr. Oscar M. Chute, superintendent of District 65 from 1947-1966 and an esteemed leader in Evanston education. Chute oversaw the district during 20 years of change and growth. He revamped the district social studies program, including bringing in scholars, and developing educational programs on the history of Asia, Africa, and Central and South America. Chute also led the expansion of mental health services in Evanston during a period when mental health was not viewed as a key issue. He oversaw the opening of new schools and the introduction of a foreign language program. Beginning in 1957, Chute took the first steps towards desegregation in District 65. Dr. Chute was also known for making hand-dipped chocolate candies in his home and distributing them to friends, family, and colleagues.
Chute Yearbooks 1967-2016. Compiled for the school’s 50th Anniversary.
The D65 School History project is the result of a partnership with Evanston History Center. This research was completed by the Evanston History Center with research contributions by Josephine Solar (ETHS Class of 2027) and Joseph West (ETHS Class of 2027).
School History
Interested in the history of other District 65 schools?
Chute Middle School, originally named Oscar M. Chute Junior High, opened in 1966.
Dawes School is named after U.S. Vice President General Charles G. Dawes.
Dewey Elementary School was the first school in Evanston to have a kindergarten.
In 2004 Dr. Bessie Rhodes became the first Black woman to have a school named after her in Evanston.
The original King Lab was located in what is now Family Focus.
Ellen Foster, the first principal, viewed the school as a community hub.
Haven Middle School was initially built to serve students from two school districts.
Joseph E. Hill became Evanston's first Black superintendent of schools in 1975.
Namesake Homer Kingsley started the first Evanston public school kindergarten in 1882.
In the 1890s, children voted to name their new school "Lincoln" after the U.S. President.
The name incorporates nearby geographical features: Lincoln Street and a wooded area.
Frederick Nichols worked closely with the architect to create a school full of treasures.
Oakton is home to murals created by the Works Progress Administration in the 1930s.
Orrington's site was previously home to a Potawatomi village and burial ground.
The predecessor to Park School was established in 1949 by a group of parents.
The school was named after Chicago-area philanthropists Daniel and Ada Rice.
Walker opened to address rising enrollment due to the baby boom generation.
The yellow brick building on the corner of Main and Ashland is the original school.
The school was named after world-renowned social reformer Frances Willard.
